Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

“I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I'm not sure where that is but I know what it is like. It's like Tiffany's.”
“Tiffany's? You mean the jewelry store.”
“That's right. I'm just CRAZY about Tiffany's!” 


            Breakfast at Tiffany’s was a film that before I saw it I had never planned on sitting through. How did I come to see it in the first place? Well in college I belonged to the film club and on Wednesday nights the members got to pick a film and show it. A girl in the club decided to show Breakfast at Tiffany’s. By this time I had seen so many not only weird films but films I never thought I would have sat through in a million years so I thought why the hell not give this one a chance. Also I wanted to see what the big freaking deal was with this film since it is talked about or, whatever, all the time.
            I probably do not have to write out a whole summary since hopefully many of you reading this have seen it. Audrey Hepburn is the iconic flighty, light, and incredibly entertaining Holly Golightly. Holly is a society girl who parties with all the best of New York society. One person does not know if she comes off as real or fake. George Peppard’s character Paul Varjak moves in next door. He is taken with Holly because he gets to see her social side and her vulnerable side away from the crowds. They are both unhappy with the way their lives are going at the moment but they both do the best they can. To me Holly is like the girl that most girls would like to be like the girl who seems to flitter through life without a care and seems to be liked by everyone. As we see this type of girl underneath has an emotional vulnerability.
            Too many things go on in the story to go into too much detail but what I said is basically the main idea.
            My favorite scene was Holly’s reaction when Paul took her to a strip club and the woman took off all her clothes. The look on Holly’s face is hysterical. I died laughing when Holly threw a huge party at her apartment where she sees this lady about to pass out on the floor from drinking too much. Holly yells out “timber!” to let everyone know that this lady was falling down! My friend and I were laughing so hard I loved it. We wanted to through a party like Holly’s we thought the people were what we dubbed “sophisticated drunk”… if ever such a thing exists.
 
 
            If you are a frequent reader of this blog and have read about the other Hepburn films I have seen you definitely know I am not a big of hers. Breakfast at Tiffany’s is the reason why Hepburn is so famous and so well known and what made her an icon. That is just what I cannot stand about her she is considered an icon. Whenever I read about Audrey Hepburn her acting always comes second it is about how she was a fashion icon or represented a new generation or things like that. I will say that I found her entertaining in the film and she was perfect for the role but I will not say that she was amazing or anything.
 
 
 
            George Peppard was so handsome. This is the only film I have ever seen him but I thought he was good. Every time I took a good look at his face I could not get over how much Michael Weatherly from NCIS and Kean Egan from Westlife look like him!! If Hollywood ever decides to be complete assholes and remake the film they can cast either guy in the role of Paul!
 
            Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a good, enjoyable film. I will admit I liked it enough to buy it on DVD and do watch it occasionally with friends. I do find it to be made too much of, to me it is not that great to warrant it to be considered so iconic. Although Audrey Hepburn is not my favorite actress ever I do like her here. The story is good too. I read that the film version is a watered down version of the book. The film hints that Holly is a paid companion Truman Capote the book’s author does not hide that fact about the character.
            Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a film that everyone should see at least once since it is very well known.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment