Friday, May 4, 2012

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008)

“There's this part of Judaism that I like. Tikun Olam. It said that the world is broken into pieces and everyone has to find them and put them back together.”
“Maybe we don't have to find it. Maybe we are the pieces.” 

            I am saying this for my own sake but why the hell do I torture myself watching hipster movies? For the longest time I have wanted to see Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, it just looked like a cute movie. Well it was but I could not get over how damn hipster it was and it drove me nuts after a while.
            Nick (Michael Cera) got dumped by his girlfriend Tris. He is depressed about it and she really does not care. He makes her these mix CDs and leaves them on her doorstep. Tris takes them to school and her friend Norah takes them out of the garbage and listens to them. Norah likes all the music that Nick puts on the CDs.
            Nick’s friends that he has a band with convince him to come out and look for their favorite band Fluffy who are running this sort of scavenger hunt to find them at a secret gig location. Norah heads into the city with Tris and her friend Caroline she is always taking care of and being taken advantage by. They all wind up at the same bar. To make Tris think she came with a boyfriend she walks up to Nick who she has never met and tells him just to be her boyfriend for five minutes. Tris walks up to them and gets a little jealous and lets it be known that Nick is her ex.
            The rest of the night is spent trying to find Caroline who Nick’s friends lost and trying to find Fluffy. They keep running into the jealous Tris and Norah’s douche bag ex-boyfriend Tal (Jay Baruchel). Nick and Norah come together through their love of music and how they are both being taken advantage of.
            I was bored with Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Kat Dennings never fails to give a good performance she is so funny and so good. Michael Cera can go suck it I cannot stand him whatsoever he annoys the crap out of me. I did like how everyone was connected by music even if it was not main stream. Music connects people more than anyone realizes. Music is just a great thing; I have so many good memories attached to certain songs and bands/groups. And I really liked how the characters were supposed to be from New Jersey and they took NJ Transit back. I take NJ Transit back from Penn Station all the time... I know I am weird but it is fun when Jersey gets a mention in any form and I see something I recognize. 
            If you like hipster, new-aged, whatever kinds of modern, indie movies than Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist is for you otherwise skip it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment