Friday, May 25, 2012

The Sound of Music (1965)



“I can't seem to stop singing wherever I am. And what's worse, I can't seem to stop saying things - anything and everything I think and feel.” 

            The Sound of Music is a film, much like The Wizard of Oz, that I have been watching ever since I was little. I cannot remember the first time I had seen either films but I just remember them being a part of my childhood. The Sound of Music is one of the most perfect film ever made. No matter your mood it the musical numbers just lift your spirits and put a smile on your face. The story, though based on some facts, is like a fairytale- a young woman wants to become a nun but she is not doing too well at it, she becomes a governess, the children try to chase her away but they soon fall in love with her as well as their strict father, she and the father fall in love and marry, then a problem arises and the new family has to run for their lives, and finally they all live happily ever after.
            Every time I sit through The Sound of Music I watch it with new eyes and ears. A few years ago when the 40th Anniversary Edition was released and my mom bought it I was still watching it as a musical and not paying so much attention to the direction or acting or sets or costumes and such. Before tonight I had not seen this film in years. I babysit for a four year old girl and she is obsessed with the film at the moment so we watched it together. I had such a great time really sitting through The Sound of Music and paying attention to the acting and everything. The musical numbers were just as fantastic as I remembered them. My favorite ones are “I have Confidence”, “Favorite Things”, and “The Lonely Goatherd”.
            The entire cast is perfection. Julie Andrews was wonderful as Maria, she was the character I cannot imagine anyone else playing her (apparently Paramount bought the rights to the story in the 1950s and they wanted Audrey Hepburn to play Maria!! Thank god that never happened!!). Christopher Plummer was so handsome! He completely fit the role of a stern navy captain who ran his house like he did his ships. Andrews and Plummer balanced each other out well- she had this innocent look to her and he was sharp and sarcastic. The children were all great. Most of them being so young they did an incredible job. Eleanor Parker as Baroness Schraeder deserves so much more credit than is given to her. I have never seen Parker outside this role but she was awesome. I love the bite she brought to the character she fit the role.
            . The Sound of Music is such a well made film all around from the music, costumes, sets, actors, director, screenplay, and everything in between. It is one of a few films that I can watch any time and just love the more I see it

No comments:

Post a Comment