Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Evita (1996)



“Just listen to that! The voice of Argentina! We are adored! We are loved! 

            I remember trying to sit through Evita when I was younger and turned it off like five minutes in. At the time I probably had no clue what was going on and it was not all bright and shiny and attracting. But now that I am older I gave Evita another shot and it was not too bad.
            Evita is about the life of Eva Peron who was the First Lady of Argentina when Juan Peron was president. If you want to know details since the film is a sort of biopic of Eva Peron do some research on her. Peron during the late 1940s and early 1950s before she died was the most loved and most hated woman in Argentina. She did much to help the poor since she had come from a poor family and worked her way up.
            The cast was pretty well. Madonna was not terrible in the title role. I must say that I have a new appreciation for her as a singer she did very well with the songs. Madonna actually made it into the Guinness Book of Records for the most costume changes with eighty-five changes! That is more than Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra. Much of Madonna’s costumes were replicas of the ones worn by Eva Peron. Antonio Banderas as Che completely steals the entire movie. He has a great singing voice! Bandares was the chorus he would sing what was going on and he was at every major event in the story. Also have to give a mention to Andrea Corr from the Irish band The Corrs (you know them you KNOW that song Breathless "... go on leave me Breathless"). She was very young here. This was before The Corrs became well known world wide as a band.
            I found Evita to be alright it felt a little long to me. I liked how there was not any actual dialogue there was only singing like the rock opera Tommy by The Who, only Evita is in no way as good as Tommy. Evita is good to see once and that is plenty of enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment