Friday, October 31, 2014

Scream (1996)


“You sick fucks. You've seen one too many movies!”
“Now Sid, don't you blame the movies. Movies don't create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative!”

            In 1996 I was nine years old. For some reason I remember sitting in class in fourth grade and we were talking about movies (maybe that is why I remember it!). I think we were taking a pole or something because the teacher was writing movies on the blackboard (yes I said blackboard!). Some kids mentioned having watched the movie Scream. Clear as day I remember thinking how on earth have these kids watched Scream it’s a horror movie it’s scary and it’s rated R, they must have older brothers or sisters. I swear to God that is what I thought at nine years old! Almost twenty years later I have finally watched Scream. When I was nine I probably would have shit myself but watching it at twenty-six I was laughing and also dying from boredom.
            Is it even worth writing a bit of the plot out? I really do not want to because it was painful to sit through all the corny-ness. Alright well if you never saw the movie it is about this serial killer who has been killing high school students (Drew Barrymore is the first victim). The killer runs around with a mask that looks like the painting The Scream by Edvard Munch. He then starts terrorizing a girl named Sidney (Neve Campbell) when she is left alone while her father is away for work.
            Soon her best friend is killed at a party and the party gets a little crazy when the killer shows up. Sidney is the hero though so she does not die.
            Yeah bad summary but seriously I found the movie a bit boring and I would not like to remember it. I do understand that Scream in no way takes itself seriously that was obvious early on but I could not get into it. I do appreciate it for not taking itself too seriously, it is different and the story is not too bad. The movie references were fun to hear the characters spout off and some of the “rules” of horror movies.  The characters were really corny. I will say I am actually kind of happy that I finally sat through this. I was always curious to see what Scream was all about. Watch Scream for a laugh and also to see a movie that is considered a classic modern movie.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment