Thursday, December 25, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)


“I am going to die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy.”

            I live in a house full of boys. I have three younger brothers who mercilessly love to torture and pick on me. My one brother is such a nice boy, last year he turned twenty I told him that I felt worse I was turning twenty-six and then he proceeded to say that he would kill himself. Yeah, nice brother, I know. At least you do not have to live with him!
            Anyway, that brother and our youngest brother are obsessed with superhero movies. Both of them have had a deep rooted love for superhero movies since they were small. I am very familiar with the worlds of Batman and Superman and all the Marvel heroes. I have not sat through many of those movies which I feel ashamed to admit. Give me a damn break I have a lot of movies I want to watch and the superhero ones are not high on my list! I did today just watch a superhero movie I have wanted to see since it came out in theaters and I never got a chance to (this should be the story of my life with newer movies, I swear). I am very happy and proud to announce that I sat through Guardians of the Galaxy.
            Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) watched his mother die from an illness when he was boy. His mother was all he had in the world. The night she died Peter ran outside furious and sad over his mother dying. He ran outside, fell onto the grass and just cried. All of a sudden a space craft shines its light on Peter and they beam him up.
            Twenty-six years later, Peter has been taken in by a ruthless guy who goes around “recovering” things for people to collect money. Peter is sent to recover an orb. With his headphones on his ears and a Walkman playing a mix tape his mother made for him, Peter dances his way into a crumbling building and into the room where the orb is kept under security. His job could not have been completely easy. As soon as Peter has the orb in his hand a few men barge in and demand the orb from him. Peter fights his way out and barely makes it out of the planet he is on.
            The team that came for Peter had been  sent by an evil Kree named Ronan (Lee Pace). Since the job was not done he sends his assassin Gamora (Zoe Saldana) to kill Peter and take the orb.
            Peter goes rogue from the people he works for and takes the orb to the planet Xandar to sell it. The guy who rescued him is pissed so he puts a bounty out on Peter. When Peter takes the orb to be sold at a shop the owner becomes nervous and orders him out. After he comes out into the open again a highly enhanced raccoon named Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper) and his tree friend/bodyguard Groot start coming after Peter. Rocket is a bounty hunter and is determined to get the money for capturing Peter. As this fight is happening, Gamora comes in. Now Peter is fighting two fights. All four manage to get themselves thrown in prison.
            In prison, Gamora is not a very well liked person. She is connected to Ronan and his family who have killed hundreds of people mercilessly. Gamora explains to Peter that she is no longer loyal to Ronan she hates him and wants to take the orb to someone who can give them a ton of money. Rocket devises a break out from prison. They all go to the man Gamora wants to sell the orb to. The man shows them that the orb is extremely powerful and in the wrong hands can wipe out galaxies.
            Peter, Gamora, Rocket, Groot, and a guy named Drax the Destroyer team up to stop Ronan from using the orb for evil.
            Alright, so my explanation sucks, I know. But you should want to see this movie because it looks awesome not because of my poor summary.
            The cast, the direction, and the dialogue were perfect. The reason for the perfection is because of James Gunn. Gunn has a crazy sense of humor which comes out in his screenplay and direction. He makes all the characters have heart and fantastic personalities. Rocket was my favorite because he was so snarky and pissed and Bradley Cooper knows how to create great attitude with his characters. If Rocket had been a human I could imagine Cooper acting him out. Chris Pratt deserves all the praise in the world for making an amazing Peter Quill/Star-Lord. No one could have been better. As hot as he got no other actor could have looked a little goofy and pulled off some of the lines believably like Pratt did. Lee Pace as a bad guy was stunning. I love and adore him. I have to give a big mention to Karen Gillan who played Nebula. Nebula was not a very nice character. I am used to Gillan from Dr. Who and Selfie where she is sweet and adorable. As Nebula she was an evil bad ass and she nailed it. Fun fact: Gillan actually shaved her head for the role. The dialogue was hysterical. It was entertaining and really kept you paying attention so you do not miss anything the characters say.

            Guardians of the Galaxy was amazing. I had such a great time watching it. I am seriously considering buying myself a copy and I never do that with superhero movies. It is entertaining and the action and comedy do not let up for a moment.
 Guardians of the Galaxy - James Gunn and Nicole Perlman

No comments:

Post a Comment