Saturday, April 11, 2015

Killing Them Softly (2012)


“They cry, they plead, they beg, they piss themselves, they cry for their mothers. It gets embarrassing. I like to kill 'em softly. From a distance.”

            I have to admit I was not totally paying attention to Killing Them Softly when it started. That seems to be the story of my life I was not totally paying attention to things. Well I genuinely have ADHD so sometimes when a movie or TV show is slow to get started my mind likes to go away to another land. In this instance that land was Tumblr and my distractions were infinite.
            Anyway…. I was able to get some things out of Killing Them Softly and what I was able to pay attention to I liked and thought it was different. And it was also a little confusing even after reading a plot summary after watching it.
            So basically, plainly there are crooks and hit men and there is a guy who runs an illegal gambling thing and he causes trouble. Two guys Frankie and Russell are sent to rob the guy with the gambling thing. They do and they get away. Somehow other people find out about the robbery and some other things and are sent to kill Frankie and Russell.
            Jackie Cogan (Brad Pitt) is one of the hit men who likes to kill his victims “softly” as he puts it, from a distance so he does not have to see the fear and anxiety on his victims faces. Jackie tracks down Frankie and plays up to him that he wants to have Frankie as a partner. He takes Frankie on a job. Frankie is the getaway driver for the job and drives away like a maniac in a fit of nerves. Jackie has Frankie drive far away from where the job was done to a parking garage. He gets out of the car and shoots Frankie dead.
            After or even before this I do not fully remember what happened. All I know is that Brad Pitt gives one of the best speeches in a movie I have ever heard. It goes like this:
             “My friend, Thomas Jefferson is an American saint because he wrote the words 'All men are created equal', words he clearly didn't believe since he allowed his own children to live in slavery. He's a rich white snob who's sick of paying taxes to the Brits. So, yeah, he writes some lovely words and aroused the rabble and they went and died for those words while he sat back and drank his wine and fucked his slave girl. This guy wants to tell me we're living in a community? Don't make me laugh. I'm living in America, and in America    you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now fuckin' pay me.”
The way Pitt delivers the line and plays it was awesome. This scene it at the last few minutes of the movie but it makes sitting through the movie totally worth it.
            Killing Them Softly what I was able to pay attention to and understand I liked it. No one is good in this movie they are all bad guys. Yet I liked them. Brad Pitt was cool, calm, and collected which made him both awesome and a little scary. I do want to watch Killing Them Softly again. I apologize for how shitty this review may be but just know it is worth watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment