Saturday, June 20, 2015

Hollywood Homicide (2003)


“Bad cop! No donut.”

            So many movies about detectives and cops are either really serious or really silly. Of the detective movies I have seen there really is no in between. That is until I watched Hollywood Homicide and it worked out pretty well.
            Sergeant Joe Gavilan (Harrison Ford) is an old school detective with a lot of financial difficulties. A few years before he began working as a real estate broker for some wealthy people. His partner is a young guy named K.C. Calden (Josh Hartnett). Calden is a detective mostly because his father was a police officer who was killed in the line of duty. In his off time Calden is a yoga instructor and recently revealed he wants to quit the force to become an actor.
            The two detectives are called to a homicide at a club where a rap group has just been gunned down. They believe the murders are gang related until they find out a songwriter for the group and their record company has gone missing.
            In the mean time, Joe is being investigated because he has been talking to a prostitute for information and has not registered her as an informant and also because he has a nice house that does not fit in well with pay from the police. Joe tries whatever slick moves he has got to get out of being investigated and to forget his broke ass life.
Image result for hollywood homicide 2003
            Other things happen, the murder is solved, and the detective investigating Joe is found out to be dirty and is then arrested. So many other things happen that if I were to try to explain them all your damn heads would spin. And at the time I am writing this it is late and I am pretty much falling asleep and therefore my brain is shutting down for the night. Yeah, for waiting so long to write this!
            Harrison Ford had some great funny moments. The interrogation scene is hilarious. His love interest in the movie was Lena Olin who to me will always be Irina Derevko Sydney Bristow duplicitous mom on Alias. They seem like an odd paring and they were a little bit but somehow they worked out to a great result. Lena Olin was so serious in Alias and in this she was so funny. She may be the entire highlight of the movie for me. Josh Harnett I was never a fan of when he was popular. All my friends loved him and I just never ever found him good looking or to be a good actor. That is until I started watching Penny Dreadful. He is awesome and very good looking in that show! I think since I like him more now that he is older watching his older movies I can see his talent as an actor and he was good. I still do not think he was good looking. He aged very nicely.
Image result for hollywood homicide 2003
            Hollywood Homicide was pretty good. I enjoyed its mix of humor and drama. The humor did not overtake the drama and vice versa. Some parts dragged a bit and some of the storyline I questioned what the hell was going on but that was mostly due to the fact that I have a bad habit of starting movies when I am really tired at night (much like I have a bad habit of writing reviews late at night when I want to go to bed). Hollywood Homicide is worth watching at least once. It is available to view on Netflix. 
Image result for hollywood homicide 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment