Monday, January 11, 2016

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

Image result for the man who fell to earth poster
“Well I'm not a scientist. But I know all things begin and end in eternity.”

            At the risk of sounding like a pretentious asshole, yes I have watched and am reviewing The Man Who Fell to Earth because of the passing of David Bowie over the weekend. I do like David Bowie as an artist I have quite a few songs on my iPod but I am not in any way claiming to be a massive Bowie fan, I leave that to my brother Anthony. Anthony is not only a huge fan of classic rock he is also a huge, massive movie fan. He is currently getting his degree in film studies and would like to get his PhD in the subject (he’s the one who should really be running a movie blog and a YouTube channel, but alas he has a life and actually works really, really hard). Some time ago he worked cataloging his college’s DVD collection and was able to use a program the film department had to upload them to the computer. One of the DVDs he was able to upload was The Man Who Fell to Earth. Anthony was going on and on about how much he loved it that when he came home for break one day he let me put the movie on my computer. I feel bad that it took David Bowie dying for me to finally sit down and watch The Man Who Fell to Earth.
            The story begins with an alien going by the name of Thomas Jerome Newton (Bowie) crashing down to earth. He has come down to Earth to bring water back to his planet. To get the water to his planet Thomas has brought down some patents that he brings to a patent lawyer. The patents for pieces of technology bring Thomas a fortune.
Image result for the man who fell to earth
            Unfortunately, things and people come into Thomas’s life that do not allow him to return home and his family that he left behind has died.
            I am not going to go into too much detail of The Man Who Fell to Earth because I got a little lost and a little bored with it after a while. Forgive, I have ADHD and this movie was about an hour and a half way too long for my attention span to withstand. What I was able to pay attention to I liked it. I liked the direction by Nicholas Roeg it was different and interesting. David Bowie did an excellent job with his acting given that it was his very first movie. Apparently, Bowie said he acted based off of his mood the day he showed up to set. And you know what, it worked very well. I think what kind of turned me off to the movie after a while was the actress who played Mary-Lou. Or maybe it was just the character. Either way I could not take her she annoyed the crap outta me!

            The Man Who Fell to Earth was not a terrible movie. I looked up the story and looking back on watching it the story is not bad. I will say it is worth watching at least once. 
Image result for the man who fell to earth

No comments:

Post a Comment